Scoobe
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy99 View Post
BMW fires first salvo?
Where? I don`t see it in any current production car. Current F10 for instance gained several hundred pounds.

Lexus, for the all new GS, really nailed it. They didn`t enlarged the car, -why would they?- but increased interior space, knee, head and legroom , plus a bigger trunk -25% more bigger-.
Now that is efficient packaging.

And they added a bunch of new technology, and car`s curb weight remained about the same!

Now that is doing it right.
From Autoweek...
"Lexus says the 2013 GS 350 uses an all-new platform with a 2-inch wider track. Its wheelbase remains the same but the car is longer, wider and taller than the old model.

The GS will be offered with only a V6 and V6 hybrid. A V8 version was part of the previous two generations but was only about 10 percent of the model mix.

Using a carryover 3.5-liter V6 and six-speed sequential-shift transmission, the GS 350 accelerates from 0-to-60 mph in 5.7 seconds, the same as the current model."

I can't find any official curb weight numbers but I'd place a bet the new GS weighs more. No mention of new lightweight materials used in construction though it very well could. It could appear to weigh the same if the new V6 version is compared to the old V8 version. Not enough detail to make a judgement yet.