View Single Post
      08-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #43
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Congrats on the Boss 302.

GTR no character! No way. I own both. Comparing it to an m3 is an apples and oranges comparison. I know this is a bimmer forum and I'm a die-hard bimmer fan who has an m3, but the gtr is an amazing car that's in a different league. This is coming from someone who has owned a variety of sports cars.

The turbos, tranny noises, ride and looks are part of the character of the car and a higher performance vehicle...not embarrassing. In other words, there is some sacrifice for the performance, but not much compared to what you get in return. For me, it's totally acceptable as a daily driver unless you plan on carrying adults in the back frequently. Then again, what performance car of this caliber even has back seats with decent gas mileage?

Have you driven a 2012? The comfort setting is quite comfortable and the tranny isn't as clunky at slow speeds. However, I still prefer the normal setting. Looks of course are subjective. I think it looks great. I can tell you that I get many more complements on it than ever have the M3. The interior, although sportier, is on par with the M, esp. the 2012. The m3 has more of a spartan luxury interior. That style wouldn't fit in the GTR. I agree that the exhaust note could be improved. That's easily done with a $700-800 mid pipe if desired.

Clarkson actually said he wants a GTR. They hardly felt it was boring: http://bcove.me/i0dd6r06

Don't get me wrong, I love the m3, but since picking up the gtr, it hasn't been out of the garage much. The traditional "balance" argument of the M hasn't been enough for me to leave the GTR behind.

Here are some other members that recently picked up a GTR:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574336

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511212
Don't get me wrong, I am not disputing the cars performance capabilities whatsoever, but when you try to package supercar performance into a car costing under $100k, something has to give. I would buy a used 911 turbo before a bought a new GTR. I do recognize that the GTR is in a completely different performance league than an M3, objective speaking.

In the end, however, what really turned me off from the GTR was the styling, both interior and exterior. Funny thing is, I LOVE the styling of the 370z. If only the GTR had looked a little more smooth and sweeping with a little more Infiniti influence to the interior. What I do like is the Japan-only Egoist Package. Now that is how the interior of the GTR should be.

Here's how I would change the GTR:

1. Smoother and more flowing front air damn. Looks too choppy and "industrial". Again, it is all business, no art. Functional, but not elegant.

2. Painted lower trim. I just hate the two-tone thing.

3. Rear trunk lid shotened by 2-3 inches. This would, IMO, give better overall proportions to the car.

4. Tapered in trunk area, like they with the latest Mustang, and like they do with the 370Z. I really dislike how fat the rear end is.

5. Better integrated rear deck-lid spoiler. The current one looks very boy-racer like.

6. Less busy rear lower valence.

7. How about just some dual exhaust tips exiting in the center. Creating four 4" exhaust tips from a single exhaust pipe is really ricey.

8. Better looking engine bay

9. Better sound insulation

10. A more continuous dashboard design where everything doesn't look so piecemeal. Better plastics/vinyl, especially in the center console area.

11. Egoist interior should be standard.

12. Some nicer color choices, both interior and exterior.

There, I think that about covers it.

The GTR will always get a lot of attention because of what it is, and it's extroverted design, but then, Lady Gaga gets a lot of attention too.

I know it's an incredible machine, but it's just not for me, and I have really tried to get myself to like the car ever since it came out, but I just can't justify that kind of money for something that I don't love.

In contrast, there are only 3 things I would want different on my M3.

1. Wider factory tires

2. A better weighted shifter

3. Slightly more midrange torque.

Everything else about the car, to me, it just right, and the design is flawless.