View Single Post
      08-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
vanosracing
Private First Class

Drives: none

BMW E46 M3 or E30 M3?

Posting this on several sites, first post on Bimmerpost M3 Forum.

Looking to add a BMW to the family, an E46 M3 or a an E30 M3. Looking for constructive input on both. The purpose of the cars would be for fun weekend driving and the occasional track event.

The E46 M3 is a 2003 with 80k miles. Test drove the car, seems in overall good shape. No winter, no track, engine pulls well, too many gadgets for my taste (it is fully loaded). No rust. One owner with records. Asking price in the low 20K's.

The E30 M3 is a 1988 with 150k miles on the body and 90k miles on the engine. Engine was changed back in 1993, all original paint, no mods, no track. 2nd owener, maintenance done by owner (he's a mechanic), could not test drive because he's replacing an engine mount. Engine seems to run well, no smoke out of the exhaust. Rust spots noticeable on the sunroof, bottom of rear wheel arches, paint is orinal so very faded. Underneath looks clean. Car is driveable, will need to test it hopefully sometime in the next week.

The E30 M3 is definitely a project car, I think I ccan get it fo runder $10K and invest another $10-$15K over time to make it a good car.

Your thoughts? Any E30 M3 on this forum?